Medal For War Service
This medal was instituted in 1920, and granted to all members of the British Red Cross Society, including Voluntary Aid.
Detachments (VAD's) who had performed one year or one thousand hours voluntary service during the war, and who did not receive any British War Medals , were awarded this medal for service rendered in respect of Red Cross war work. This medal was issued unnamed for wear only on Red Cross or similar uniform.
The medal depicted the Geneva Cross surrounded by a laurel wreath, with the inscription 'British Red Cross Society: For War Service 1914-18'. It was worn with a plain white ribbon.