Telephone +44 (0)1305 264066 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Position: Deputy Curator
Organisation: The Keep Military Museum
Location:UK, England, Dorchester
Job Type: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £18,000 - £20,000
Closing Date: Thursday 8 March, 2018
The Keep Military Museum seeks to appoint a suitably skilled Deputy Curator to support the museum's work in a variety of areas.
This multifaceted role represents an opportunity to organise visitor services, retail and public programming and is a great opportunity to get involved in the museum's marketing, exhibitions and collections management programmes.
You will be working alongside the Curator, and will deputise when appropriate, ensuring the museum is operated and promoted effectively and provides an excellent visitor experience.
The position will be subject to a DBS check.
This is a full-time position (37.5 hours/week) and includes some weekend and evening working, for which time can be taken off in lieu.
The post holder will report to the Curator.
The position encompasses the following responsibilities:
- Management of the museum shop and online shop, including the recruitment, training and management of Front of House volunteers.
- Develop activities and interactive items to accompany the Museum and Gallery displays and exhibitions.
- Marketing of the museum's activities and managing the museum's website and social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook).
- Being proactive in obtaining funding for museum projects including grant applications, corporate liaison, partnership building and fundraising campaigns together with the Curator and other members of the trustee board as appropriate.
- Assisting the Curator in the delivery of the schools, community and events programmes.
- Represent the Museum on external bodies.
- Assist the Curator in exhibition construction and collections care, in particular accessioning and the storage, movement and transport of objects.
- Assist with the management and development of the Regimental archive.
- Deputise for the Curator.
- Budget management and general administrative duties.
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant subject area (History, War Studies, Museum Studies)
- Experience of managing volunteers
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly at all levels in writing and verbally
- Proficient with Social Media - especially Facebook and Twitter
- Must be able to work independently and have good organisation and time-management skills
- Computer-literate, preferably familiar with MODES collections management system.
- Must be able to drive and have access to a car, and be willing to use the car for museum business.
Applications, including a CV and covering letter should be made to:
Chris Copson, Curator
The Keep Military Museum
Or emailed to:
Interviews will be held week beginning 26 March 2018.