Telephone +44 (0)1305 264066 - info@keepmilitarymuseum.org

54th Regiment of Foot - Early days of the Regiment

The 54th Regiment of Foot

In early 1755, during the period of tension prior to the outbreak of Seven Years War,  a further expansion of the Army brought the 54th of Foot into existence. It was raised at Salisbury, in Wiltshire by Lieutenant Colonel John Campbell, Duke of Argyll. It had a very gaudy uniform of scarlet, with 'popinjay' green facings profusely laced, the officers wearing silver and other ranks yellow lace. Initially the regiment was numbered 56th Foot but was renumbered 54th in 1757 when two more senior regiments were disbanded.